Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Back on the Wagon

Relatively recently, a blogger that I follow posted the books she is reading in 2010, as a response to this blog.

As you may have noticed in my first blog, I am back on reading. True, Koray brought me the complete series of The Catherine Tate Show, and true, I have watched a few, but I refuse to get sucked back in and I am determined to hold strong. The fact that the DVDs are zone 2, and my portable DVD player only plays zone1, helps tremendously.

I used to be an avid reader, back in the days when I almost always took a nap or plopped myself down on the couch for a good hour after work, the days that Koray and I now look back on and wonder "what did we do with so much time?" If you know me, you can guess the reason why my reading has dwindled in the past 3 years and 10 months. Granted, this past fall was a record low for the number of books I usually read in a month, but even before then I was not in fighting form. I was reading some books, sometimes even two a night, only they were usually accompanied by colorful illustrations. I am, of course, not complaining. Dr. Seuss and Mo Willems are interesting and engaging, as are the people who like me to read to them.

Now that I have made a commitment to read more, my strategy to keep on the book reading path is to write down, in order, which books I will read. The aforementioned blog has a challenge to read 100+ books in a year. If you just hit the mark and read 100 books, that is roughly eight books a month. I know there is no way I can do that considering I get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 8:30, and the boys get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 7:30. When I say "go to bed" I mean I snuggle down into bed and tuck into a book. Each day is filled to the brim with family, school and Turkish class (twice a week after school), which is why I usually only last about a half an hour before I am sound asleep. Maybe when the boys are teenagers and I am up late worrying about where they are and what they are doing, and who they are doing it with, will I be able to read more. Until then, eight books a month is too ambitious for my current lifestyle.

Instead, I will list here the books I plan to read, putting it out there in hopes this public declaration will help me to stick to it.

Here is the line-up. It is meager in comparison to the 100+ book challenge. Baby steps.

The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee (for the reading group I have decided to join)
When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris, *and signed by David Sedaris*, thanks Dee! (I actually just need to finish this)
A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg
The Forty Years of Love: A Novel of Rumi by Elif Shafak
The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather Armstrong
The Sirens of Baghdad by Yasmina Khadra
The Spirit Catches you and you Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
The Man Who Would be King: The First American in Afghanistan by Ben Macintyre
A House Unlocked by Penelope Lively
Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih
The New Turkey by Chris Morris
Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
Katherine: The Classic Love Story of Medieval England by Anya Seton

It is wintry and snowy outside and the boys have new Thomas the Train toys to keep them busy, so I think it will be a good day to disappear into a book.

If you are reading anything interesting and engaging, I would love to hear about it. Or if you have already read books on my list, let me know what you thought.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for blogging! Enjoy the writing side of life :) (and the reading according to the post).

    I just read Laura Rider's Masterpiece and although there were moments when I asked myself, "Do people like this really exist?" The characters became more and more real as the book went on, and I realized that I just don't know people like this, but they must exist.

    I am also reading Admission right now - and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete