Monday, August 30, 2010

B's Zucchini Relish

School has started, for teachers at least, and I have been as busy as expected. But with good things. And because all of those things have been so good, but busy, I need some time to process it all. But I will say that the year is off to a good start and I am looking forward.

But to look backwards for a moment, I want to write about my maternal grandmother's zucchini relish, something I mentioned in my last post. It has been quite a hit with the people I have shared it with so I figured it was worth mentioning here again.
This isn't your average relish, one that is reminiscent of a dill pickle. This is a heavenly concoction that is sweet and sour at the same time, that goes on just about anything you are whipping up for dinner. We recently ate it with grilled burgers, but you can also put it on chicken, mix it with cream cheese for a tasty spread for crackers or fresh bread and you could even use it for curry, which I think I will try this week.

I don't know where the recipe originated or if it goes back any more generations than my grandmother. What I do know is that it is tried, true and tested, year after year, by my mom's family to be a tasty recipe worth making in the hot summer months. I don't have any special memories of it really, but it has always been there in the fridge, ready to dollop on this or that. This summer it was a nice surprise to discover it again, next to the fixins' for a burger (which included the most delectable sweet onions) at my aunt and uncle's house in Lebanon, Oregon.
And that is really all I have to say about it. It is damn tasty and I encourage you to make it as well because the recipe is a cinch to make, especially if you have a Cuisinart or mandolin (which I don't). The recipe here is not for canning purposes, but you can easily can the relish after it is cooked. The recipe follows.

B's Zucchini Relish

10 cups of grated zucchini
4 cups onion, grated
1 red pepper, grated
1 green pepper, grated
3 tablespoons of salt

Combine in glass bowl and let sit over night.

Drain in the morning and add:

2 1/4 cups of apple cider vinegar
4 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring to a boil then simmer for 40 minutes. Taste for salt and spices and adjust to your liking. My mom says cinnamon, garlic and celery seed can be added as well.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I've been wondering what I would make with the zucchinis I picked. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete