Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An Ode to Tuna

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5046/497/1600/Bouchon_au_thon_side_text.jpg

For those of you who know me, know that I love to eat and that I love to cook. Koray mentioned once that since he has known me, I have rarely repeated a recipe twice. And this is true. I love combing web sites for new recipes, or pouring over my favorite cookbooks for dinner. Sure, I make the staples over and over: lamb chops, roasted chicken, meatloaf, grilled cheese, brown rice risotto and dal, but otherwise, I like to try new things. However, there is one recipe that I keep going back to. The star ingredient isn't really a star at all, but mixed with basic ingredients like eggs, cheese, and onions, your run-of-the-mill can of tuna fish is transformed into a delicate and delicious meal with a fancy french name: bouchons au thon.

The recipe comes from the first food blogger I came across that began my foodie blog obsession, Molly Wizenberg's Orangette. She also published a autobiography/cookbook that was a joy to read, and one that I highly recommend picking up. Based in Seattle, Molly has lived in France, hosts a radio blog, owns an uber-cool pizza restaurant in downtown Seattle and publishes this great foodie blog that I follow religiously. She has an honest, funny, self-depreciating sense of humor and is down to earth. My kind of gal. My good friend K. went to a book signing in Seattle and got me a signed copy of her book. Yep, I am that obsessed. But once you taste these tuna treats, you will see why.

These savory morsels of heaven are a show stopper. From finicky four-year-olds to a hungry post-PEI crowd, bouchons au thon will feed the masses and make them swoon. I usually serve them with a simple salad of thinly sliced red cabbage tossed with fresh garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground pepper. This is a delectable combination. This week I made it with Molly's French home-style carrots; also a good combination.

So, if you are looking for a tasty, easy main dish to make, check these out. You won't be disappointed.

note: you can use yogurt in place of the creme fraiche, sour cream would also probably work. I use any kind of cheese I have on hand, and these still turn out delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment